Wednesday 31 October 2012

What constitutes a representative patient?

I was told today that there is a paradox in patient engagement - a paradox that as soon as you become a patient representative you are no longer representative!

I guess the added interest in healthcare is not universal, but isn't there no such thing as a typical patient anyway?! Surely, a representative that has had patient experience and can share the commonalities of their experience with NHS staff is still helping everyone? As long as those unable to meet the demands of formal representative roles are able to have their voice heard through other mediums.

I am not sure if this is really a problem,or just another idiosyncrasy within the system, but as a patient representative myself, I would love to hear your thoughts on what constitutes a good patient representative or a representative patient?!

Comments below . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment