Friday 28 February 2014

Optimising my self-management

I try and go on my recumbent exercise bike (a godsend for those of us who are orthostatically challenged like us POTSie's) regularly and normally manage several kilometers while reading the paper. I often wear my slippers and PJs.

So I do get on a bike, but what have I got in common with Froome and Cavindish et al of Sky Cycling Team? 


We are both talking about the same percentages. Now I don't follow cycling, but I know a little bit about their mentality from getting glued to London 2012. As a team they have made all the quick wins, all the changes and improvements that will give them 5 or 10% advantage. All that is left is the tough ones that take a lot of work but only get you 0.1% advantage. But that's the difference between a medal or not. And a few 0.1% improvements add up. 

I'm starting to run out of the big winning self-management tricks. I'm done the lifestyle stuff (diet, exercise), I've got the OT equipment, and I've done some CBT and counselling, read the self-help books, and tried relaxation techniques. "Been there, done that, got the teeshirt"
They have all made a difference. 

But in the same way that Team Sky can always be faster, I am still living with my health conditions, and there is still pain, fatigue and other symptoms to tackle and emotions to keep under control. This stage is hard because the rewards are less for more effort. Perhaps it is about revisiting some of my techniques to make sure I get into good habits again, or doing them more often. But nothing is going to make a big difference, because I've already found out about all of those things. I've exhausted the 5% improvement list, so what's left to do now is work my way through things that can make 0.1% of a difference whilst maintaining the things that make big differences. 

Not being quite as competitive as the Team Sky boys, I hope that I can accept it quicker when I can't find these few 0.1% improvement, but that is not to say I'm not going to keep looking for them! 

2 comments:

  1. I really like the following quote - could you tell me the origin? "The medical support keeps me alive but it is the psychological and social support that enables me to live?"

    PS Watch out for the Tasmanian member of Sky - Richie Porte! Well done on an insightful and interesting website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      The quote is mine... I'll send you the image with it on for you to use if you wish!
      Anya

      Delete